Archived — The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is holding its World Standards Day event on October 16, 2013. Register today.
International standards ensure positive change is the theme for this year's World Standards Day event.
Join the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) for World Standards Day (WSD) 2013 and discover how international laboratory standards are calibrated to deliver positive change and improve both the quality of results and patient care.
Under the global theme "International standards ensure positive change," SCC's World Standards Day 2013 event on October 16, 2013 will highlight how international standards ensure quality laboratory results. Each year in mid-October, SCC joins the international community in celebrating WSD and marking the importance of standardization-related activities.
SCC invites all interested stakeholders to attend its thought-provoking half-day event, featuring a panel discussion on how international standards ensure quality laboratory results. This dynamic session will bring together industry, government and standards development experts to discuss the accreditation process and key international standards for testing laboratories and to share success stories and lessons learned. In addition to the panel discussion, there will be keynote speakers, networking opportunities and exhibitors.
Speakers at the WSD 2013 event include the following:
- John Walter, SCC's Chief Executive Officer, and Kathy Milsom, SCC Chair
- Dr. Mike Moss, Provincial Medical Director, LifeLabs BC, who will deliver the keynote address
- Dr. Michael Noble, Chair of the University of British Columbia Program Office for Laboratory Quality Management, who will moderate the panel discussion
- Panel members:
- Anita Kwong, Director, Laboratory Quality and Process Improvement, Lower Mainland Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority, and Vancouver Coastal Health
- Dr. Mike Moss, Provincial Medical Director, LifeLabs BC
- Jane Weitzel, expert in lab accreditation, ISO/IEC 17025 and analytical chemistry, and former auditor for pharmaceutical companies
- Toby Yan, Manager, National Client Services for the Ontario/Atlantic Market, Accreditation Canada
WSD will highlight two key international standards that profoundly impact laboratory results: ISO/IEC 17025, the laboratory accreditation standard, and ISO 15189 for medical laboratories. These two standards ensure that laboratories have the competence to carry out specific testing methods. More specifically, ISO 15189 helps health care and medical laboratory communities ensure greater accuracy of test results and improve patient safety through traceability of laboratory procedures.
Join us for the World Standards Day 2013 event
SCC's WSD 2013 event will take place from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. (PDT) on Wednesday, October 16, 2013, at the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel, 1133 Hastings Street West, Vancouver, British Columbia. Register today.
The event, which also includes SCC's 2013 Annual Public Meeting, will open with networking and registration at 1:00 p.m. Participants may attend the WSD 2013 event in person or via webcast. There is no fee to attend. All stakeholders are invited to attend. The SCC event is a prelude to the University of British Columbia's Quality Management Conference for Laboratory Medicine, scheduled to take place from October 16–18, 2013 at the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel.
- Date modified: